Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 7: Dealing with Stress and Nicotine Cravings

Stress is the name of the game today, but I tried not to let myself get so upset that I would feel that a cigarette is my only answer.  Quitting smoking is a bunch of mind games, all day long, that you play to yourself.  You have to trick your brain into getting through each day, each hour, each three minutes.

Craving for Future Nicotine??
I think this is why a lot of people succumb and start smoking again.  They stop playing the mind games and the addict starts to take over again.  The best example I can think of is thinking about quitting smoking for the rest of my life is terrifying. If I start to think about next week, next month, six months I will start to feel physical symptoms of a panic attack and then the craving starts.  I start craving for the cigarette I should be smoking next week.  I hope a fellow addict will understand that. That craving in seven days, seven months or seven years puts me in a panic more so than any present cravings I have.  So I play a mind game when I begin to think about my non-smoking self.  I say, "you know that there is no point in worrying about next week, next month or the next six months.  You are worrying about right now.  There is nothing to worry about right now because"  That is much easier.  Shut off the panic button and be done.  It usually works.
I hope that someday when I start thinking of my future non-smoking self I will not panic.  When that day comes I will know that I am beginning to beat the addiction.

The Craving Bag
I also want to share a picture of my craving bag.  It has been very helpful during this week.  I highly suggest such a tool to get you through.  Some things I use more than others.  For instance, I have not needed my journal because I have the computer close by.  I keep forgetting to mark down my cravings, so the sharpie is not necessary - but I  think it is a good idea still.  Maybe I should carry it in my pocket.  I have been knitting - which has been a great tool.  The almonds have been a great salt munchie and I counteract with sweet trail mix (the kids love the trail mix so need to buy more) I took the picture with my Iphone - but I do use that for distraction a lot.  The Altoids have been great, I use them while walking and driving.  I keep everything in the beige bag on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment