Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 15: Nicotine Relapse is a Reality

No, I have not relapsed on my two week anniversary.  I want to talk about relapse because the possibility to do so is there.  In fact, I think as the days go by, the possibility for a relapse grows greater than the day before.  It is wonderful that I gain confidence and self esteem with each day that goes by, each craving that I accept and each time I walk away.  My addict mind can easily fool itself in thinking that I can have one cigarette, even a half of a cigarette - no make that one puff and then I will continue with my quit no problem.  My confidence will become my worst enemy.

Relapses begin because we forget the Law of Addiction.  I do not get to take credit for that fantastic name. I am taking this idea from www.whyquit.com, and if you have not visited this website I urge you to do so.  www.whyquit.com is my inspiration, my support group and my education for my cold turkey quit.

The Law of Addiction is a basic definition of the permanent change nicotine has created in my brain.  Nicotine addiction has created pathways in my brain that will never be erased.  It does not matter if I smoke now, 10 years from now or even 30 years from now - if I take a hit of nicotine even once I will go back to my old habit.  Relapse will guarantee failure.  Pretty scary?  Hell yes.

Our brains try to tell us the only normal is the nicotine high normal.  It takes about two weeks for the brain to start reconditioning itself to a new normal.  The brain still holds on to what the nicotine normal is and that is what constantly nags a recovering smoker.

So during those times of confidence, the times that my addict brain wants to bargain for what it used to know as normal I must remember the Law of Addiction.  I must remember that if I choose to smoke I am choosing to go back to my old consumption of a pack a day.  It is never just one.  Ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment