Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 18: Dealing with High Amounts of Stress without Smoking



As a smoker, I would automatically try to figure out my problems with numerous cigarettes and pots of coffee. I would smoke many cigarettes rehashing how to solve the problems of my life. It always seemed that those cigarettes helped me get through those times. The smoke breaks that I took gave me an excuse to stop cleaning, working and even parenting to think solely about my stress and try to find answers. Did this time really help me to solve my problems? Looking back, I really cannot remember if those problems were really solved with all of that brainstorming.

When trying to quit early on, I have to focus my complete energy on the quit, the cravings, my healing body and build my self esteem. When a stressful event happens that steals away my energy and focus, I am automatically reaching for a cigarette. Relapse danger is so close and so real, I feel that I have to double my efforts into not smoking.

What happens then to solving the source of my stress? Well without the cigarettes I am still trying to figure out an answer to my problems. I know that one of the smartest actions I can take is give my stress some time to settle in and allow me a little perspective on the whole problem in the first place. Smoking now at the height of an onset of stress is not going to help matters any. Smoking will add to the problems I already have.

Another motivation for not smoking is beating the trigger. I have read over and over that if a trigger is beaten and riding out a craving is successful than the next time that situation appears the craving is no longer there. This turns not smoking during these triggers into a challenge, and each trigger is a milestone. Got into an argument? Check. Mouthy teenager? Check. Stubbed my toe? Check.

I liken this to not wanting a cigarette in the morning anymore. I did not quit in the morning on Day 1.  I smoked in the morning because that was how important that morning cigarette was to me. Now I do not think of smoking in the morning at all. I beat that trigger, and it no longer is necessary to be able to start my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment