Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 21: Living with a Smoker while Quitting Nicotine

I have not mentioned yet that I live with a smoker.  So I have been trying to do this quit while having tobacco around me to constantly tease.  The smoker isn't teasing of course, and he has been pretty respectful.  It is just to have the tobacco there, the ashtray there and him doing what I used to do really is hard to turn away from.  He smokes outside, but whenever the door opens it triggers me.  I used to go out there with him.  Then when he opens the door to come back inside the smoke sucks into the house.  Most times it is easy to ignore unless I am working through a craving.  The smell of burning tobacco during a craving is almost more than I can bear.

On the other hand, the smell of stale tobacco is horrid.  In the truck I can smell the tobacco linger in my hair even though no one smoked around me.  Jackets or sweatshirts that have yet to be washed reek.  This smell gives me a headache and makes me feel queasy.  I do wonder that if I am exposed to second hand smoke if that will trigger my neurons the way smoking a cigarette would.  I know it would not be as big of a hit as a cigarette, but I am thinking that if I inhaled second hand smoke it would break the law of addiction.

So I am living with a smoker, and have not picked up a cigarette during all this time.  I did not smoke during those nasty cravings that I have been going through.  I could have grabbed a cig easily, even lit a refry.  I chose not to.  Looking back choosing not to smoke those cigarettes sitting on the table took the same amount of willpower it takes me to not drive to the store and buy some.  I do not want my quit to end.  I understand the law of addiction and its power over me.  I enjoy the feeling I have after beating a craving.  I am enjoying my body as it heals.  I love how it feels, how I am breathing better, how I can smell and taste.  All of these things are beginning to mean more to me than getting that hit of nicotine.

Tips While Quitting when Living with a Smoker

  • Ask the smoker go outside to smoke.
  • Ask the smoker to not leave their cigarettes in plain side.
  • Ask the smoker to get rid of their butts right away.  Safely of course.
  • Do not use the smoker's habit as an excuse for you to smoke.
  • Leave the house before you choose to smoke.  See if getting away can give you a little perspective.
  • No smoking in the house or vehicles.
  • Change your routine and be ready to distract yourself during smoke times.
  • Reassure yourself with your quit smoking websites, books, letters and journals.
  • Do not lecture the smoker or make them feel bad because they are still smoking.  
  • Do not try to quit at the same time when you live together.  Recipe for disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment